Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rearing fish

Have you ever heard of a cat rearing fish before?

It's sooo weird isn't it? Actually, it sounds wrong.....haaha

But I'm a big cat with a smaaaall litte fish......which I don't even know what breed it is.

A friend said it's a gold fish....but my impression of gold fish has always been - big eyes + huge cheeks + big mouth + big body + small tail

I think it's not bad that my fish lasted this long considering I've never reared one before and I don't have the proper equipments.

.....and the fact that 4 died before a week and 1 died after 1 week....keke...

But this little one lasted more that a month now!! sooo...happy!

Though I don't think the little fish is that happy as it's been swimming alone in that flower pot by itself for weeks now!

Mistakes you should never make when rearing fishes:
1. Don't feed them too many times a day!

Everytime I eat something, I'll be thinking, "Poor fishie! They look hungry".

Over feeding them kills them!

2. Don't change their water everyday and move them from one bowl to another by spooning them up!

I think the first few fishes died because I changed the water twice a day and I kept swirling them around in the pot because I was trying to get rid of their poop.

I then transferred them here and there using a spoon, and I think I ter-cacated (disabled) one of the fishes that way. After I changed the water, I realised one of it's fin was like......I don't know...it just doesn't seem right, and the fish was swimming side ways and can even swim 360 degrees-boomberang style! After all that "excitement", it died!

Then there was once, after I changed the water, 1 of the fishes just stayed at one place and didn't swim around. It looked tired....and after a while, it sank to the bottom of the pot!

hahaaha.....

Now, I'm left with one fishie! Change the water once every 2 days and I stopped spooning it with a spoon.

Plus I think I'm sooo afraid that I'll overfeed them again, that now, I'm underfeeding my fish.

Last time, it used to take them hours before their fish food. But now, I don't know if my fish got smarter that it can recognise food now or what......now, my fishie finish it's food after 10mins!

Do you think I should throw some more food in for it? It's like so kesian~ I only feed it twice a day! Plus I'm only feeding my fish with "flakes". I'm really scared that it'll die of hunger now.....

Anyone else think they're under-feeding their fishes too?

I'm thinking if I should buy one guppy fish to teman my lonely little fishie. Or will they end up fighting?

No comments:

Post a Comment