Sunday, November 6, 2016

Earl grey pound cake

Near the end of September, the weather really started to cool down a lot and perfect for baking as it wouldn't heat up the entire room.

I found this earl grey pound cake recipe on cookpad and improvised it - http://cookpad.com/recipe/3503650

Ingredients:
Flour - 100g
Margarine - 70g (I shall try to reduce it to 60g the next time, to try to reduce the fat content of the cake)
Sugar - 75g
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Eggs - 2
Tea bag - 1 (I shall try using 2 tea bags the next time too for a stronger flavour)
Milk - 50ml

1. Mix everything together and bake in a 180C oven for 20mins.

At first I was worried about how the cake would turn out as I only have a microwave oven, but it browned really nicely. And I judged how long I should bake the cake according to how nicely it browned. I baked it for about 17mins. 

The cake looked absolutely beautiful from the top, till I peel off the baking sheet to reveal the unbrowned bottom. The cake was baked nicely, just that it didn't have the nice brown colour at the bottom and at the sides because the microwave oven only heats up on top.


So yea....I could't achieve the nice brown crusts that I like on pound cakes, but the taste was good and not too sweet.  It was sooo good that I finished a quater of the cake on the spot!

As I did not seep the tea bags in warm milk before hand, the flavour of the tea was not that pronounced. heehee...my lazy method. Hence, I shall try using 2 tea bags instead the next time. If that doesn't work too, I will seep a tea bag in warm milk  before using the milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment