Monday, December 3, 2018

Bits from here and there

One of the things I miss most about home is mum's cooking. As I don't have many days I really have to be very specific with what I want to eat. heehee....one of the dishes I picked was the 'choy kiok', which is braised vegetables and left over meat or other items that can add flavour into the broth. The broth itself is spicy, sour and filled with umami from all the other ingredients that are added into the pot. I especially enjoy the veg with the mushrooms. Usually, people would add more broth but I only wanted to eat the veg so I didn't take any of the broth.


There are also many fruits that I miss while in Japan....Red dragon fruit, mango, coconut, passion fruit, etc. I especially love that we can have any fruit whenever we want and not have to wait for a certain season or for there to be discounts to buy any.


Then there are also soups and desserts that I miss. I'm super greedy.....or.....the grass just always seem greener on the other side.


Below are some pictures from my outing with Amanda for banana leaf rice. But it's more like me having lunch and Amanda just talking to me as she was having food poisoning and doesn't want to deprive me of some good banana leaf rice.


While the colours look a bit scary, the taste was very good. I guess I wanted to try too many different curries as my rice looks like it's drenched in sauce.


That night, I also had time to squeeze in a dinner with the U group. It was great to catch up with G, H and A again. It was especially great to find out that G is pregnant with ther 3rd child and this time the baby is a girl!!! I can't believe that she was already pregnant when I met up with her back in Tokyo a few months back but at that time, she didn't know that she was pregnant too.


We grabbed dinner at Go noodles house as I really miss their noodle soup that comes with delicious meatballs!


No comments:

Post a Comment