Tuesday, July 13, 2010

七夕

Tanabata (七夕) which falls on 7th of July every year is a japanese celebration. According to legend, the Milky Way, a river made from stars that crosses the sky, separates these lovers, and they are allowed to meet only once a year on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month of the lunisolar calendar.

heehe....does this remind you of our very own chinese version?

We recently celebrated tanabata at my japanese school and we wrote wishes on small pieces of coloured paper before stapling it to the leaves of a fimsy bamboo plant.

Last week, we also had the chance to wear yukata for a photo shoot and enjoy the yummy okonomiyaki and takoyaki at the centre.

It was a great experience as I've never worn a yukata before. Since I arrived late, all the nice ones with sweet colours or nice flower prints were also chosen by other girls. I settled with a red coloured one which was hanging nicely on the wall.

First, wear the robe. A ribbon will the be tied to your waist to adjust the length of the robe. Then the robes will be folded nice and another ribbon will be tied to your waist to keep the robe properly in place. And finally to end it all, a piece of thick cloth or cardboard like thing will be place on the front of ur waist before using a nice thick cloth called the obi to finish it all with a nice ribbon on your back.

After that another sensei helped us to do our hair. The japanese are really good at styling hair. Within 5 minutes, using just a rubber band and 3 hair pins.....sensei tied my hair up into a ponytail and shaped it into something braid like before turning it into a bun like thing. Amazing!

As the yukata, which is a summer clothing, is already hard to wear....I can't imagine how would wearing a kimono feel like. But I definitely want to try it!!! Kimono...please wait for me!!!!

heehe....we were all wearing our own clothes beneath the yukata. Imagine wearing nothing underneath it!!! lol....plus it was difficult to walk in it. I've never walked such small steps before man!!!!

I was wearing sport shoes, so it didn't really suit the yukata look. A sensei lend me her heels and a whole bunch of us walked to pyramid in our yukatas, distributing flyers. Lol...

Once we were under the sun, it was H.O.T!!!!

hehe....really enjoyed the experience. I think I might wanna get one set of yukata+obi +geta for myself one day. With a nice flowery design in the shades of pink to purple. It makes you look  pretty and so lady like!

I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

After the short trip, it was munch time.....kekee...okonomiyaki, here I come!!! yes...I prefer the okonomiyaki to takoyakis. Didn't get the chance to cook my own okonomiyaki but I got to cook takoyakis again!!! I didn't make it so nicely this time. It was the half-half method which we normally see. I still think that the one whole method is better.

This saturday is Bon Odori! I hope I'll be able to make it this year!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment